Y Chromosome Testing
A Y chromosome test (Y-STR test) is used to determine if tested males share the same paternal lineage. The cost of the Y chromosome test is $589.
The Y chromosome is passed down from father to son and has a very low mutation rate as generations go by. If a direct male line can be traced, then all males in that line will have the identical Y chromosome profiles. A Y-STR test is ideal for establishing whether alleged male relatives are really biologically related.
Who would need a Y chromosome test?
- In the absence of the alleged father for a paternity DNA test, it is possible to test the alleged father's male relatives alongside the alleged father's male child/children to confirm or exclude paternity.
- This test can be used in cases where brothers want to know if they share the same father.
- Male cousins can use this test to see if their fathers were brothers or to check if they shared a common Grandfather.
- In immigration cases, the Y chromosome test can be used to scientifically prove a biological relationship when there are no birth certificates or other legal records.
- Adopted children who wish to reunite with their birth parents.
How do I order a Y chromosome test?
At easyDNA we offer a full range of relationship testing starting at only $589.
- Go to our Order page, select the Y testing option and the number of people who require testing
- Fill in the required payment information. Your kit will be send upon confirmation.
- Using our easy-to-use instructions, collect the DNA samples and send them to our lab for analysis. For detailed, step-by-step instructions on how to use your DNA testing kit visit our sampe collection guide.
You will receive your DNA test results between 5-7 working days after we have received samples.
For more information on the Y chromosome test contact us or have easyDNA call you.